Sunday, July 13, 2014

Meet the Teacher

Hello everyone!
My name is Joanna Christiansen.   I am fairly new to teaching in a traditional classroom but I bring a lot of life experience to the job.  I received my BS degree in Business Administration in 1998.  I have experience in retail management, restaurant management,  and office management.  I was drawn to meaningful work and helping people so I ended up working in the social services industry.  I provided support and case management services for people with developmental disabilities for five years.  Eventually, I became a stay at home mom.  I currently have two sons, age 11 and 7 and a third son on the way, due in November.  I discovered a love for teaching as I was often involved in training new staff in all my previous employment and as I began teaching my own children various skills.  I have homeschooled my children for 7 years and bring lots of experience using varied curriculums as well as teaching children that are at different levels of development.   I deeply enjoyed my recent student teaching experiences.  I taught 2nd grade as well as a 4/5 combo class.  I received my multiple subject teaching credential in June 2014.  I am currently in progress of completing my Masters of Education with a concentration in Educational Technology.  I believe every child can learn given proper tools and guidance.  My philosophy is that if we teach a child to learn on his or her own then we will create a lifelong learner.  The future is limitless if we all keep growing and learning.

A few tidbits about me:
  • I have three cats and one dog.
  • My favorite color is purple.
  • I love to read fiction books. 
  • I love the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment